Wednesday, October 27, 2010

EYE ON MIAMI: Alison Austin Running in City of Miami District 5. By Geniusofdespair

EYE ON MIAMI

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2010

Alison Austin Running in City of Miami District 5. By Geniusofdespair

I know Alison for years and I like her very much. She is running for Commissioner in the City of Miami's District 5.

She was born in Liberty City and went to Edison middle and senior high school. After completing her BA in Communications at the University of South Florida she turned to news reporting, hosting a public radio talk show, “Community Pulsations,” on WLRN and promoting causes she cared about: quality education, race relations, the environment, government accountability.

Returning to Liberty City to raise her family, she created and led programs at Florida Audubon Society to motivate and empower inner city youth to become environmental stewards. I spent a lot of time with her during her stint with Audubon.

Alison is now the CEO of Belafonte TACOLCY Center. It has provided a safe haven for thousands of children and youth. TACOLCY help struggling families stay together, troubled youth turn their lives around, unite fathers with their kids among other good programs.

If I lived in the City of Miami, I would vote for my friend Alison and I am glad the Miami Herald gave her their recommendation. She knows the community, she has paid her dues and she is ready to lead. I hope the people in the district give her their votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment